Monday, May 30, 2005

Happy Memorial Day

I hope you all had a great Memorial Day.

We had plans to go over to our friends house, but it got cancelled Sunday afternoon because their daughter came down with chicken pox (her brother had it last week...so next week their other daughter might get it - I hope not though).

So, Bobby slow grilled a pork shoulder on the grill with mesquite (however that's supposed to be spelled!) :) LOL - Oh it was so good! :) We went to an Art Festival and had a good day. Since PA isn't where any of our family lives, we weren't able to go place flowers for loved ones that have passed away. I wasn't sure if that was just a southern thing or not, but I was happy to see lots of people at cemeteries around here with flowers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We were driving back home and saw a huge cloud of black smoke eerily close to the direction of our home. I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as each road we turned off, the smoke still appeared as it was coming from our neighborhood. Thank God it wasn't our house or in our development...but later we drove around (once we knew we wouldn't be in the way of rescue crews) and found the house...it was a total loss - the fire started in the garage, according to the news the family got out of the house, they didn't hear the smoke detectors over the tv, but the dogs warned them. Thank God they were all safe.

My family lost our house to a fire when I was 8 - it's such a scary feeling & such a tragedy to loose everything you have, some things are just so irreplaceable! I say this from experience, as I only have a few pictures of me as a child. So, you'd think that I had a fireproof box or safe deposit box at the bank to hold pictures and things huh?! Well, I don't....I really need to do something about that!

BTW, the neighborhood helped out that family that lost their house - they have lots of support thankfully. (The fire was less than a mile away - too close for comfort)

No comments: