Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Bird Rescue

So I've just finished cleaning the kitchen from lunch and start folding laundry when I let the girls go out to play. Soon they come in crying about a bird being hurt in the tree. I go out to investigate what the source of all the drama is. I find a robin hanging from the tree in what looks like a huge gob of spiders’ web attached to his ankle - a closer look reveals it's fishing line. His leg is tangled in a huge mess of this - and it's all in the tree. Looks like he got caught by the line that some fisherman had left outside (first hmppphhh) and flew around with it until he got caught in our tree.

So I try calling my husband - this man has 3 phone numbers (including 2 cell phones) and I can't reach him (second Hmmpppphhhhh) so I call a friend who suggest I call a local vet - they give me the human societys number and wildlife rescue number. The Human Society is closed on Wednesdays (go figure!) LOL and there is no answer at the Wildlife rescue. (hmmmmpppphhhh number 3) The whole time Catherine is telling me to call the fire dept - "they'll help, they can do anything!". I try to explain about emergencies and this just isn't one you call the FD for - she tells me a life is in danger and it is an emergency. How do you answer that?! :)

After an hour (or at least it felt that way) of contemplating my next move and mustering the courage to try and rescue this bird myself (it was high in the tree and I flinched every time he tried to fly away so I knew I wouldn't be much help to this poor bird).
The phone rings - it's my husband - my hero. He tells me to get the ladder, get a pillow case, get some scissors and rescue the bird myself. Ohh, doesn't he know that he married a wimp? He did say he'd rescue the bird himself if the bird could wait an hour or two - of course I couldn't let this bird - this robin suffer that long. So, I get our ladder, set it up, I get the pillowcase and heavy duty work gloves (my idea on that one =D ) and the scissors. I climb the ladder I start talking real calm trying to relax the bird - he's not amused. He starts flapping his wings and trying to free himself and I flinch (I told you didn't I?!). I can't do it. I just can't rescue this poor thing by myself. So now what? (sigh, hmppppphhhh at myself for being such a dork)

I look around at the neighborhood thinking which neighbor could help (I've lived here for 3 years and only know a few - how pathetic is that?!). While I had gone to the back to get the ladder a fire dept truck (you know the yellow kind - I wonder what the difference is) was parked across the street. You see, one of our neighbors is a grumpy old man that drives the Fire Rescue car (again a white and yellow one) I don't know if it's his son or what but on occasion these younger guys are there at his house. So, with no care of how I look (sloppy Old Navy Tee shirt and grey sweatpants - my hairs a mess, did I even comb it today?) I tell the girls to stay on our front porch while I cross the street and ask for help. He says he'll be right out to help after he puts his shoes on.

So out he comes with another younger guy - one climbs the ladder (the bird pecks him twice - see why I was scared to do it?!) and cuts him free - pulls the rest of the line out of the tree...then he releases the bird. The robin flies away safe at last (or lets just hope so - I hope his leg isn't broken - but I know it has to be sore)

So finally, someone brave enough to climb the ladder and rescue the bird! Whew! I didn't think that bird would ever be saved! :)

Now the girls are playing outside - I still have one more basket to fold and to make dinner. What an exciting afternoon! :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather you are my hero! You are such a sweetie and I loved reading each and every word of this!!