Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Parent Teacher Conference

So, today was my very first PTC with Catherine's Kindergarten teacher.

It was great. Catherine is doing really great in the classroom. She's not the best at everything, and that's fine, I understand and am okay with that. I did ask the teacher to have the speech therapist to have a review with Catherine just for a few concerns of mine (when she says M and N they sound the same...and when she says 30 and 40 they sound the same...she clearly knows the difference, she just doesn't pronounce them well).

Her handwriting has a lot to be desired, granted she's only 5, but her fine motor skills need some work. I'm going to make a point to set out beads to let her work with picking them up and sorting them, making patterns (something she absolutely loves doing). This should help tone her fine motor skills without "fussing" about her handwriting yet. :) She kind of doodles in the middle of writing her sentences sometimes too...so she's clearly laid back about the whole thing. She's more creative minded (just like her mom) and could care less about writing her letters perfectly.

She gets along great with others, is very helpful, polite and all that other good stuff that you want/expect to hear about social behavior.

Tomorrow several of us are getting together for pizza over at my friend Jenn's house. I made an angel food cake, have cut up the strawberries (put a little sugar to get their juices flowing) and will make a whipped cream tomorrow and layer the cake in 3 tiers. I'm planning on making m&m cream filled cookies tomorrow with the help from Catherine. :)

I ran to Giant (our grocery store) tonight to pick up a few things...the kids wanted to play in the Kid Play house...so we had to make it there by 6 (that's when they stop taking in new kids). I found out that the valet packing (you pay for your groceries, let them know you want them to load your car up...you go get your car, pull up under the carport area and they load your car up with groceries for FREE...they're not even allowed to accept a tip! Wow...I was blown away! If you know me and my thoughts on tips! :) LOL

.....okay.....so here's the deal on me and tips. I HATE the fact that consumers have to pay to have a service done correctly. If you are employed you should have a commitment to do the job, and do it right. Your customers should not have to pay you on top of what your employer pays you to do that job. I think that whatever your job is, you should be paid well to do it (a happy employee is a good employee). How many times have you left someone a tip and honestly they didn't do anything extra to "earn" it. I'd love someone to give me a tip for all the stuff I have to do! okay I'm done! :) This is in no way to infer that a waitress doesn't deserve good $$ (infact they deserve a really big paycheck for having to put up with all they have to put up with, besides remembering everything they have to!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember my 1st P/T conf! I had Kellyn's last week, Katie's this week and I look forward to them every time!
Sounds like Catherine is doing really well.....be proud of her :) I know you are!